Monday, August 10, 2015

One of those days....

So....when I think about both my girls being in 1st grade and kindergarten, it makes my heart beat a little faster and tears well in my eyes many times. How cliche to repeat the "it goes so fast" saying, but darn it, it is TOO true. They were just my sweet little toddlers. I love these girls with all my being. I am taking some solace in the fact that I will still have my sweet boy to spend some time with for at least the next year.

I love these girls!
Who wouldn't be pumped to hang with this kid?!

But let's just be real for a minute, shall we? I'm going to go all Jen Hatmaker on you much as I will miss my girls all day, after today, summer needs to be over. Soon. It's been coming - sneaking up on us little by little, but by the time the kids went to bed I realized that for everyone's best interests, these children need their friends, a routine and to be the heck away from each other, and me, for little bits at a time. 

I guess I want to make note of this day - lest I forget how life truly was at this point. How my brain has left my head half the time. How these children love each other and annoy the ever living crap out of each other at the same time. I'm truly amazed these children are still alive sometimes. For real. 

The day started early. 5AM early. I made myself get up instead of hit snooze like I have done this summer too often. I got up to get in a 4 mile run and lovingly pack a little bag of healthy snacks for our little angels for our day in Sioux Falls. I had that all accomplished by 6:30. My goal was to leave by 8. When I backed out of the garage at 8:08....I thought the day had already been won because for me, that is pretty on time!! Should have been my first clue...

I had just pulled out onto the highway when my phone rang. My best friend! I guess my day COULD get better! We chatted and it always completes my day to talk to her. Towards the end of the call, the first bump. I realized my lovingly packed bag of healthy snacks was still sitting in my fridge at home. Well crap. Not a deal breaker. We kept on going as I was 20 minutes from home already. Going back was not an option for my agenda packed day.

We hit every single road construction possible on the way down and finally arrived at Target. That's always a sanity saver. We returned the night light that didn't work and amongst our other shopping, went to pick out another for Alaina. In the lightbulb aisle, what else should you do, but touch everything. Despite my pleas and down right yelling, why would I be surprised to hear the crash of a lightbulb that Wesley found too tempting to not pick up. Lovely. Now we had to flag down someone to clean up a lightbulb that shattered and pretty much scattered down the whole aisle. Which the kids took as the perfect opportunity to try to run through. What kid doesn't love running through broken glass?? I smiled with pride and joy as I watched.....ahem. Moving on. 

From here was our bright spot of the day. New school shoes. These were some happy kids and there isn't too much damage they could do there. 

So the reason we go to Sioux Falls every Monday is to take Alaina to the children hospital's rehab clinic called Lifescape. She has physical, occupational and speech therapy every week during the summer. It's a great supplement for her and keeps her progressing forward while she's not in school. So the kids and I have an hour and a half of waiting while she works. Well, by this point in the summer, they are over going to Sioux Falls. They are over killing time while Alaina has therapy. So today after our Subway sandwiches have been eaten, what else do you do, but throw the bags on your head and proceed to march around the waiting area like you are a marching band? At first it was kind of cute, you know, all creative and stuff.  Then it got loud...then it just got down right annoying. I oh-so-lovingly forced them to sit down by me like 5 times. But apparently the lure of the hat was too strong. I could not get out of that place with them fast enough. No one was really there so it's not like they were bothering anyone...but still. It was also an added bonus that I struck up a conversation with a mom who was there with her little guys - one of which was there for therapy. We see them there every week and he's a busy, but seemingly sweet, little guy. He is always curious and up in Wesley and Aubrey's business. This was a huge opportunity to just sit and catch my breath - enjoy my sandwich, chips and lemonade. So when he came and touched all of the stuff we had sitting around us for lunch, I asked his mom if it was ok if I gave him a chip since he was like an inch away from the bag. She said sure. So I gave him one. He happily took it and I thought was going to eat it....he proceeded to lick half the chip - and before I knew what happened, shoved it back into my bag - almost still full of chips. I didn't really want anymore anyway I guess. Found out he was there for feeding therapy.....guess I was just doing my part?

From here we make 2 quick stops. One being Wal Mart. Ugh...Wal Mart. Enough said. Of course no one had to go to the bathroom when I insisted before leaving Lifescape, but the moment we get to Wal Mart, their bladders might explode if we don't go NOW. Why do their bathrooms always seem worse than anywhere else? So while attempting to smile through it all, we finally get bathrooms done after Wesley touched basically everything in there. I mean, why not? Run your hands along every surface, buddy. Finally back in the van and get to Sam's Club which is right next to Wal Mart. As I was gathering my things to go in, I suddenly realized in all failed attempts to keep Wes from practically rolling around on the bathroom floor, I had left my wallet in the Wal Mart bathroom. Awesome. So now I get go back and drag all the kids back in there again. Thank the lord there was a good samaritan that turned it in. Major crisis averted. 

We finally get back to Sam's and commit to busting this out and getting on the road and the heck outta town. So we head in and the kids are so bored shopping they decide that the only option is to annoy each other. Because walking along helping me put things in the cart like I was asking wasn't gonna cut it. After I heard the crabby old man scolding Wesley for sitting on the bananas while I was attempting to pick out grapes, it was already time to be done. But before we left, my poor sister in law had to listen on the phone to me giving the 20th warning that they were now officially not allowed to touch each other after Aubrey was well on her way to putting Wes into a headlock and about knocking over the pile of almond canisters. I saved the threats with their life til after I hung up the phone as to not put her in the position of having to lie about what she heard to DHS should they come knocking on her door by the end of the day. 

We finally got out of there (after Wesley, of course, had to stick his hand into the garbage can outside and his finger into the cigarette disposal thing. Really kid???) and I decided to give the kids the lemonades I bought earlier for the ride home. I kindly opened them and handed to Aubrey first since she has a hissy fit if she isn't given something first that is handed out to the kids. She gave me a look I had never seen from her before and was certain I wouldn't see til she was at least a teenager and said "you drank out of it. Gross." To which I so lovingly replied "get over it." Directly after this, Wesley was none too thrilled about the baseball HE stuck in the cup holder of his car seat and I was darned if I was in the mood to try to calm and reason with him. So there you could find me with the car seat tipped upside down trying to dislodge said baseball. Then chasing said baseball and retrieving it from under the car next to us once it rolled away from me. It looked super smooth and cool, I'm sure. You can bet your sweet cheeks I cracked open that 46 oz bag of peanut butter M&M's I bought at Sam's and did some damage on the way home. Didn't even care. 

If this post is all you knew of me or my our kids, you would think they are awful, unruly little monsters and we were beyond dysfunctional and I don't discipline them. But I would really like to believe, and do believe, this is not usually the case. Which is what makes it all the more frustrating of a day. I know all teachers will swear under their breath - or out loud - at me, but we need you. School needs to start. We need routine and some time away - to really appreciate each other again. Cause we are over it all at this point. This is how most days are starting to go lately - all of us together - it's a three ring circus. It needs to come to an end. To all the Facebook friends posting back to school pics today....I'm beyond jealous. I love, love my kiddos, but there is a point when smart people know when to pull the plug.  Lest we all end up in the looney bin. The next few weeks consist of a few last minute summer trips, which will hopefully break the cycle. And lots of sleep. Summer is brutal people, we will survive though. I'm sure I will be ready to tackle this whole thing again come the end of May next year, but let's just savor the school year while we can, shall we??
Best distraction of the day - kids helping dad get ready for the fair...
God bless us one and all....time to put this day to bed. Tomorrow is a new day! Anyone else's household ready for a change of pace??

No comments:

Post a Comment